Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Transition Week

Football in full swing. Baseball to tip off a championship. The NBA to throw out the first games. Alright, so maybe I am bit cluttered in the sports brain. But this week is the total transition. With the World Series kicking off (there I go again) tonight, we will soon be hunkered down inside, longing for a bowl of chili and the winter sports that have swept to the top of the ratings.

We'll wait until Friday to really talk about college football and the intrigue that is the NFL... Here's a side bet: Which gets better ratings: The London drama of the 49ers and Broncos this weekend, or any World Series game? I'll go a step further... Does an ABC sitcom do better than Game 1 tonight? I think it's entirely possible, which is sad.

So, who wins? Pitching dominates in the postseason, and the Lincecum-Lee dual will be compelling enough to watch two, maybe 3 games. The Rangers have seemingly been the only team to make it past 162 and hit over the month of October. Don't discount that. Beyond Lincecum (and Lee), who do you like to shut down a game on the mound? Yep, me either. So, let's go with the team that can mash it better. Outside of game 1 and game 4, I think the series lacks real drama... Rangers in 6

I want to go on the record and side with two people I normally don't: Random talk-show emailer and Lou Holtz. First, to the random emailer of "Mike & Mike" a few weeks ago who suggested that all baseball playoff games be on weeknights, away from football. I am all for it. Why? Because the World Series didn't make a dent in the sports landscape in the 24 hours leading up to it. What did? Lebradeosh making their debut and the ankle/shoulder of Favre/Romo. The World frickin Series.

(As for Lou Holtz and his momentary genius, we will get to it on Friday)

Oh, and a quick analysis of the ballyhooed Miami heat debut: Are we sure that wasn't the Cleveland Cavs playing the Celtics. LeBron got his 30, controlled the ball and rendered another guard and big man to being a lesser percentage of their actual ability. Well, except for Bosh. His contract will be an anchor around that franchise by the middle of next season. Amare, Boozer or even Shaq would have been better values.

I'd write more, but I need to post this so my Rangers prediction looks legit...

No comments:

Post a Comment